This was a total shocker for me, considering the fact that I myself consume Maggi on an almost daily basis. But putting personal feelings aside, I’ll get on with rest of the report.
Food group Nestle has withdrawn Maggi noodles from sale in India due to “an environment of confusion for consumers”, following a food scare sparked by reports of excess lead in some packets of the popular instant snack.At least six states have banned Maggi noodles after tests revealed some packets contained excess amounts of lead.
Maggi, which sells a packet at roughly USD 0.20, is a popular snack in India, with large number of children consuming it regularly. It has been a market leader for over 25 years.
However, ten out of thirteen samples of Maggi were found to contain excess amounts of Monosodium Glutamate (MSG) and lead, which are extremely harmful to health.
Courtesy: Clara Ferreira Marques.
Thoughts: Oh man! It’s such a big blow to me, a hardcore lover of Instant Noodles aka Ramen. My mom always nags at me saying that they are “harmful” to health. Now, she’s having a self-satisfied smirk on her face. Guess it serves me right for not listening to her.
Whatever it may be, this is just a rude awakening call for all of us to reflect on what we eat.